The name shall be “The Belleville Sports Hall of Fame.”
The Belleville Sports Hall of Fame shall be located in the Dr. R. L. Vaughan Atrium in the Quinte Sports and Wellness Center or such other appropriate location as determined by the Board of Directors of the Belleville Sports Hall of Fame.
The objects shall be to permanently record, and in the public display area, to give prominence to the achievements of eligible individuals and teams who have attained prominence or distinction in any field of sport, and to those who have made a major contribution to the development and advancement of sport, and for such purposes to establish, maintain and operate a hall of fame, museum or other public display area.
- Until such time as the functions, finances, or responsibilities of the society require the attention of professional staff, all matters relating to the Belleville Sports Hall of Fame, including its operation and maintenance shall be administered by the Board of Directors (the Executive). The Executive shall be the trustees of all records and possessions of the Belleville Sports Hall of Fame. The Executive shall consist of seven members, one of whom shall be the Past President. The remainder shall be elected at an Annual Meeting.
- The Executive shall at its first meeting of the year elect a President, Vice President, Secretary and a Treasurer.
- In the case of vacancy in the office of Past President, then the Past President once removed shall be appointed to fill the vacancy. If such person is unwilling or unable to act, the position shall remain vacant.
- No person may serve on the Executive more than six consecutive years, save and except when filling the position of the Past President. This clause shall not apply to any years served prior to the passing of the Constitution.
- The Executive shall hold at least four meetings in each calendar year. A majority of the members of the Executive shall constitute a quorum. Any member of the Executive missing three consecutive meetings shall no longer by a member of the Executive, unless reinstated after due consideration by the Executive.
- The President shall be an Ex-Officio member of all Committee’s of the Belleville Sports Hall of Fame, except the Selection Committee.
- In each year the Executive shall appoint a Nominating Committee which shall consist of the President, one member of the Executive, and one person from the at-large membership. The Nominating Committee shall present a slate of not less than seven (7) candidates for the Executive at the Annual General Meeting, one of whom shall be the Past President. Nominations may be made from the floor of the Annual General Meeting when moved and seconded by members in good standing.
To be a voting member of the Belleville Sports Hall of Fame one must:
- Be a resident of the City of Belleville or Hastings or Prince Edward Counties, or have been inducted into the Belleville Sports Hall of Fame, and
- Have attained the age of 18 years on or before the date of the Annual General Meeting, and
- Be a paid up member 28 days in advance of the Annual General Meeting, and
- Be present at the Annual General Meeting.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The Annual General Meeting shall be held No Later Than October 31 of each year. The time and location to be determined by the Executive.
TERM OF OFFICE
The term of office of the Executive shall be for one calendar year.
- The Belleville Sports Hall of Fame is a non-profit organization and shall be carried on without profit or gain for its members and any profits or other accretions to the organization shall be used solely in furthering and promoting the aims and objectives of the society.
- The fiscal year for the society shall be the calendar year January 1 to December 31 of any year.
SELECTION AND INDUCTION
- SELECTION COMMITTEE
- The Executive shall appoint a Selection Committee consisting of seven members, including three members of the Executive Committee and four at-large members appointed by the Executive. The Chairperson shall be one of the three members appointed from the Executive.
- The term of office shall be one year.
- CLASSIFICATION OF INDUCTEES
There shall be two classes of inductees in the Belleville Sports Hall of Fame – Individuals and Teams.
- ELIGIBILITY FOR ELECTION
- Must have been a resident of the City of Belleville, Hastings or Prince Edward Counties for a minimum of 5 years.
- Nominees who by outstanding achievement have attained prominence in any field of sport, or who have made a major contribution to the development an advancement of sport, or who have brought honour to Belleville are eligible for election to the Belleville Sports Hall of Fame.
- Nominees must have concluded their careers as active athletes for a minimum of 5 years before their nominations may be considered. An athlete who has reached his or her 50th birthday will be eligible for nomination and consideration by the Selection Committee without any waiting period whether or not he or she is still active as a competitor.
- Individuals included in a Team Induction shall not be eligible for personal induction until a period of one (1) year has elapsed.
- Members of the Executive and of the Selection Committee are not eligible for induction while serving on either body.
- PROCEDURE FOR NOMINATION
- Nominations shall be submitted to the Selection Committee.
- All eligible nominations submitted shall be considered in the year submitted and the four succeeding years. Nominees not elected to the Hall after being considered for five consecutive years, may be re-nominated.
- METHOD OF ELECTION
- The Selection Committee shall, in each year, review the eligible nominations from which they may select inductees. The Selection Committee process shall be concluded at least 90 days prior to the Induction Ceremony.
- The number of inductees in each year shall not exceed five.
- The decision of the Selection is final.
- The public announcement of the decision of the Selection Committee shall be the responsibility of the Chairperson of the Selection Committee.
- The method of voting for candidates shall be decided by the Selection Committee, subject to the approval of the Executive.
- PROCEDURE FOR ENROLLMENT
- It shall be a condition precedent for official enrollment that each newly elected Inductee of the Belleville Sports Hall of Fame, shall be formally inducted into Membership at an official ceremony.
- The time and place for such ceremony shall be determined by the Executive.
The Executive shall appoint an Acquisitions Committee consisting of three members of the Belleville Sports Hall of Fame, who shall be responsible for the acquisition of artifacts, documents and similar material for the permanent collection of The Belleville Sports Hall of Fame. The items should best illustrate the achievements of Members of the “Hall” and record the sports history of Belleville.
Amendments to the constitution may be made at any meeting of the Executive upon sixty days written notice being given.
Also available in PDF:0